Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Gardening Trials and Tribulations

So we planted our garden and we started strawberries last year. We have broccoli, cucumbers, green onions, garlic, and a variety of peppers and tomatoes. Things are going well with most of the plants right now but they didn't look so good the first week we took them from in the house to the designated plot in the back yard.

They were wilting and soon after they were planted some bugs seemed to attack them. With some rain water and bug spray most of them are doing well now.

There are a few plants that don't look like they are going to make it and the strawberries are looking great except for the RACCOON   damage. I need a night watch to keep them away. We have reinforced the fence to the veggie garden so they can't get back in there but we can't seem to keep them out of the strawberries. They break the branches and kill sections of the plants. The birds steal berries but they don't do much damage to the plants. There is enough to share with animals so I don't mind the birds so much but the raccoons must go. The strawberries are also attracting some bugs that I have yet to identify and I am not sure how to get rid of them. They seem to just be in certain sections of the strawberries and I am not sure why. There are some slugs and something that looks a little like a slug but is much faster. I don't think traditional bug spray is going to work but who knows guess I will be researching bug control. Maybe I should not worry too much about them because they are not actually eating the plants they are just gross.

I have tomorrow off and I have some errands to run but if it is dry I need to weed the veggie garden and pick out the murdered by raccoon strawberry plants. If it is not you I will have to work on cleaning the house and sewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment