Saturday, November 13, 2010

Job Scams

As I sit here today after a full 6 hours of searching for a job I am once again outraged by the evil people out there taking advantage of people when they are down on their luck. What exactly do they thing they are going to get from someone who doesn't have a job. It looks like they try to get all of your info and steal your identity or maybe it is you last $200 dollars. Whatever it is they are everywhere.

The worst part is they look like any other job ad most of the time. The scamming business must be booming because they even buy ads on Monster.com and Careerbuilder. The best way to tell if it is a scam is if it seems too good to be true. They are wising up to that and changing their format to include a more reasonable rate of pay.

The thing I really hate is there have been several companies that have made me fill out these long and annoying applications and then they want me to pay for their services. I do have some time on my hands now but I don't want to pay to find a job. If I find a job where I have to pay for uniforms of something that is fine but I am not shelling out any cash to get a job.

Don't these people have a heart, how can they do this crap to people and live with themselves?

If you are looking for employment in this slow economy and you are afraid an offer might be a scam your best bet is to run in the opposite direction. If you want to check it out limit the amount of personal information you give them and never give them money.

If you think you would be good at sales there are many companies that offer you that opportunity and they are legitimate. Just be careful as you enter the job searching world.

2 comments:

  1. I feel ya... got to be careful with things that sound good on the web.

    hope it all works out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am an IT Recruiter in Chicago. We also have a blog, called, My Dog Ate My Resume. I think you just gave me an idea for my next blog.

    My daughter is 19, and this spring, she was looking for work. She posted her resume on several job boards. Yahoo, Monster, Careerbuilder.

    The next day, she received an overnight "Cashiers Check" via Fed Ex. The check was for $3000 to be a intern/Personal assistant for a New York advertising fund. The packet looked very official, and came with directions on spending the money.

    My daughter laughed. We called the "bank" that the cashiers check was issued from, and had them run the numbers at the bottom. It was fake.

    We then called our friend who works at Harris Bank. They get people daily depositing those checks, and drawing off of it. The bank basically begs them not to do it, but some people want to believe.

    ReplyDelete